October 28, 2011

Review: Halo Helljumper (mild spoilers)

At first, I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to read any of the Halo comics. I've never really cared for comics. But I thought, if I consider myself a true Halo fan, I should read all the Halo material I can. So I started with Helljumper.

Helljumper follows a squad of ODST's on a mission to investigate a distress call from the small colony of Ariel. When they get to the planet, they discover it's abandoned. So they begin searching the planet for the presence of the Covenant, as well as the human colonists. They soon discover a mass occupation of Covenant troops, digging for something, as well as forcing the colonists to help dig. Two ODSTs infiltrate one of the dig-sites, and enter a system of Forerunner tunnels. NOTE: Do NOT read any further if you don't want a mild spoiler. Eventually they find a Forerunner construct that calls itself The Knowing. The Knowing tells the ODSTs that if the Covenant gets their hands on itself, that they could wipe the human race out "down to your last DNA strand". The ODSTs, Reclaimers, order The Knowing to destroy itself. The construct obeys it's master's command, and detonates the facility it was housed in. With nothing for them on Ariel for them anymore, the Covenant leave the planet, and the ODSTs go home.

It was an interesting story, though not essential to the Halo story. It was also very short. It took me only about an hour to read it. I would try to check it out of your local library, as it is worth reading. Personally, I wouldn't pay for it, but if you want to, that's up to you.

Expect my reviews for the other Halo comics, as well as the graphic novel sometime next week.

3 comments:

  1. Yes I was the same way. Wasnt sure about the comics but when I saw what they looked like and read them all ( except The Halo wars comic) I actually like them more than the novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the first and thought this was amazing i hope you read it.I hope this book shows the origins of the flood and the prisoner of the last book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...What? This is about Halo: Helljumper. Not Primordium.

    ReplyDelete